Monday, January 07, 2008
Take It Further Challenge Unembellished CQ Block 1
Here is my first crazy quilt block ever. It was more difficult to make than I anticipated because I didn't line up the seams well. I had a really nice pattern drawn on the back of the muslin but it was not easy to follow. There are a few uncovered spots of muslin but I'm not terribly concerned about them...I know I can find something to cover them up with. I spent some time reminding myself to give me a break, this is my first block, after all. And this is a challenge!
I've used the challenge colors as my fabric choices and now I have to determine what to cover them with. I'm still contemplating trying to embroider a goat that I drew and place it in the center. I spent some time today looking in my ribbon and embroidery books but neither of them explained precisely how one transfers an embroidered design after it has been cut from the original fabric to another piece of fabric. I browsed through some of the other challenge participants' blogs to see if other embroiderers posted on this subject and found Cheryl's Chatelaine. She describes using quilting paper in this post, which I just happen to have purchased while back in Michigan. I may consider her technique for this project or an upcoming CQ block for the challenge.