I'm on Instagram!

Follow me: knitncrochet
My photo stream http://instagram.com/knitncrochet

And The Amis Go Rolling Along

I think I am in love with amigurumis. I can't stop making them! That is good, as I seem to be avoiding some of my other crafts--at least I'm still inspired to work on something. Here are the latest additions:

Here is "Accidental Acorn." I was making another pear but somehow forgot how to decrease properly and what resulted was something like a diseased pear! I was pretty disappointed and, not realizing that it was a human error that could be ripped a bit and corrected (at the time, I thought maybe I'd chosen a crochet hook too small for the yarn), I tried to devise a way to cover up the top of the pear. I like acorns a lot and so I fashioned a top for my pear. I guess the acorn top is my first attempt to improvise and make something without a pattern. I'm quite pleased with the result. Lately, I've been trying to embrace the idea that accidents in creative projects can be pleasant surprises rather than problems. I like to think of "mistakes" as challenges for my creativity. I've even begun to think this way with cooking and it is doing me some good and hopefully combating my perfectionism a bit.



I also completed a jellyfish named Squiggly. This was actually the first amigurumi project I ever attempted. My crochet teacher, Laura, helped me work through the pattern and was generous enough to meet a couple of times beyond the crochet class in order to help me and another student with our projects. I had almost finished the jellyfish without stuffing or putting the face on and realized later that it would be impossible to finish unless I ripped it back a bit. When I finally got up the courage to do it, I realized that the tension wasn't very good at the beginning (it being my first project and all) so I frogged it and started again. I'm pleased with the result and so is Lucas--it is his favorite. The Jellyfish pattern is free on Ana Paula Rimoli's web page.

I am overwhelmed by the generosity and kindness of many people whose blogs I visit. Recently, Mia of Owlishy just left me speechless when she sent me two of her patterns as a gift to celebrate my graduation. I'm very excited to start working on them and have only been held up by the lack in my stash of certain colors I will need. I'll be sure to remedy that soon because Laura Beth and Sarita are just adorable. Please visit her Etsy page, as she has so many beautiful pattern designs full of pictures and accompanied by great detailed instructions.

I'm very much enjoying my new found free time. When I'm not crocheting away, I've been working on organizing and tidying up our apartment and finally dealing with things that have been neglected for a long time around here. I've watched more movies in the last two months than I have in years and have been catching up on Lost. I have also been doing more cooking and trying new recipes. If you haven't been to the Smitten Kitchen, I highly suggest that you check it out. Not only is the writing witty and entertaining, the recipes are lovely and the photos are gorgeous. I think I've tried four or five recipes so far and have found them all to be fantastic. My favorite is the spring panzanella.

Lucas and I will be leaving on Sunday for our Civil War trip with my father-in-law. I'll be sure to bring my camera and hopefully the weather will cooperate. I'm currently reading through Gods and Generals to prepare myself for the trip (I read Killer Angels last summer after we traveled to Gettysburg).

I probably won't have much time to post for about a week, as we will be out of town and then I will be working at my LQS/LYS for a few days after we return. I forgot to mention it but the owners asked me a few months back if I would like to fill in for them every so often and I was very excited. It's great to be there surrounded by beautiful fabric, yarn, and people who are enthused about quilting, knitting and crochet as much as I am.

Comments

Greenmare said…
the accidental acorn is adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
certainly NOT a mistake, it's serendipity!

Labels

Show more