Inspired by my reading of the Piece O' Cake books, I came across a gorgeous blue-green-orange batik and that become the foundation for the quilt I'm currently working on. I pulled some of the same colors from the border to make up the blocks and then went searching through my patterns for something that I thought would work well with my fabrics. Finally, I settled on Prairie Moons (below) by Pam's Piece By Piece.
I'm a sucker for star blocks. I recently celebrated my 30th birthday and decided this quilt was going to be my birthday present to myself. It was such a fun quilt to make that I had a hard time not working on it.
The pattern calls for using the Tri-Recs rulers to make the eight-point stars and I had fun learning to use them. I will say that I feel like I never quite figured out how to line them up perfectly when sewing the light smaller triangles to the dark center triangle. In the photo below, you can see my early layout, when I (finally!) put up a design wall.
Oops, I forgot this was supposed to be 9x11 blocks, not 9x9, in order to fit a queen-sized bed. Here's a photo where I try again.
After looking at this on the wall for a while, I worried that I didn't have enough different fabrics and purchased a few more. I think if I had followed the original pattern (7x7) or my accidental 9x9, I could have just used those fabrics without adding any others. I haven't taken a photo of the quilt yet with the new fabrics in, but I've got all the (99!) blocks made and am in the process of sewing the blocks into rows. This may be a new record for me, as I started this in early April and I might just finish piecing the top around the end of June.
I had a few extra star blocks left over and lots of cut pieces of fabric so I decided to make a pillow for my step-dad for Father's Day. I'm really happy with how it turned out. I hope he likes it!