I'm on Instagram!

Follow me: knitncrochet
My photo stream http://instagram.com/knitncrochet

All Red and Orange Yarn Here

You'd think I am a someone else with all the red and orange yarn I have been working with lately!

Exhibit A:

Cascading Cables Cowl

Cascading Cables Cowl by Kim Miller
Yarn: Zen Yarn Garden Serenity Silk in Blood Orange, 2 skeins
Hook: 2.25mm (B)
My Ravelry Project Page

There is nothing like a brilliant pattern design to make you wish you'd thought of it! :)  This was a fun project to make and I loved that there were written instructions, a chart, and information about changing the width. 

I made a scarf rather than a cowl because the twisted stitch pattern looked more striking in this yarn when hanging down rather than wrapped in a circle around my neck.

I don't know if I have gotten really laid back with my crochet or what but my gauge on the recommended hook was way too big.  I had to go down about 2 hook sizes and take off one repeat of the pattern in order to get about the same width of scarf.

This was a shop sample for a class I taught this summer.  My students were brilliant and caught on so quickly!


Exhibit B:

I want to go to Brighton!

The Way from Brighton by Joji Locatelli
Madelinetosh Tosh DK in Scarlet, 2 Skeins
Needle?  What needle?
Ravelry Project Page

This was in my queue a long time and then my friend Leslie made one and then I wanted to make it even more.  Finally, I got around to it at the end of last year.  This is one of those knits that lives up to all of your expectations.  I liked everything about it and felt sad when it was over.  I wasn't sure anything else I knit would ever be quite that fun. 


Exhibit C:

Groovy Shawl

Groovy by Jumper Cables Knitting
Madelinetosh Tosh Merino Light, Robin Red Breast, 2 skeins
Needle: again, I forgot
Ravelry Project Page

I was inspired by Joan to knit this clever pattern.  Two skeins of sock yarn is a lot of knitting.  I decided not to block it because I liked the texture unblocked.



Exhibit D:

Spot Lace pattern from The Weaver's Idea Book
Cobasi Hikoo by Skacel, one skein in red-orange, one skein orange
10 dent reed, Ashford Knitter's Loom

I challenged myself to play with color and pick up in weaving this summer and was working on a sampler out of The Weaver's Idea Book.  I fell in love with this spot lace pattern.  The book is great.  My only gripe is that it does not indicate how many threads are needed to create a repeat.  I read somewhere later that this is considered an intermediate book.  I still think it should have this kind of information, just like any knitting or crochet stitch pattern book would.  

So I sat down with my weaver friend Meredith and we spent a LOT of time trying to figure out how to modify this pattern to a scarf to the width I wanted and how that would affect the pick up pattern.  My notes are on my project page linked above.

This yarn was great to work with!

Are you working in a certain color or group of colors lately? 

Comments

Misty each one of your red and orange scarves look wonderful! I think the twisted crochet scarf just may be my favorite :o) I've been working on a new pair of striped crochet socks and can't wait to get them done so I can start wearing them!

Labels

Show more