I'm on Instagram!

Follow me: knitncrochet
My photo stream http://instagram.com/knitncrochet

Drunkard's Path Quilt

Making a Drunkard's Path quilt has been on my bucket list.  This spring, I picked up a Pathways ruler which allows you to make three different sized blocks.  I wasn't sure how large I would make them and liked the idea of a ruler with options.

When Katy Jones' line, Priory Square, came out, I instantly fell in love with it.  I was super excited when several of those fabrics appeared at my LQS, Stitch Your Art Out.  I pulled from my stash (below) and filled in with some fabrics from the shop.




To use the Pathways ruler, you cut your fabrics down into squares before cutting them out with the ruler.  You turn the ruler one way to cut the convex piece and another direction to cut the concave piece.



I liked using the ruler, which I think is easier to hold than a template. I had a little trouble getting my blocks to turn out the correct size so I cut on the opposite side of the curve for one piece to make it larger.  I later contacted the ruler's creator to ask about it and she got back to me right away.  She made a good suggestion to change the position of my needle when sewing.  It never occurred to me to do that!  I will definitely do that when I make more DP blocks.



Practice block.  I made several to check that I was cutting correctly and the block was ending up the right size.




Then there were four.  I made these over spring break.





I wasn't sure how large I wanted to make it but wall hanging seemed like a good place to stop.  I then spent weeks contemplating how to quilt it as I packed up and prepared to move.  I moved at the beginning of May and my new place has a sewing room!




A friend loaned me a copy of Shape by Shape by Angela Walters and that was just the inspiration I needed.  I drew out some quilting possibilities and started practicing.  I haven't free motion quilted in YEARS.  It went much better on my Bernina and I was surprised to find that I was actually enjoying myself.  Below is a test block.




Actual quilting in progress.   I used a variegated YLI thread.  It is my favorite go to thread when a quilt top has a lot of different colored fabrics (and most of mine do).



I just got the quilt finished last week.  I was so happy to see it up on the wall.



If you want to see what I am up to on a more regular basis, check out my Instagram feed.  I am @knitncrochet.

Comments

Misti I so admire you for taking on the Drunkard's Path block! Your wall quilt turned out so pretty :o) Good for you, too, on the free motion quilting! When I make myself do it I find it is fun once I can get over feeling so self conscious about perfection (or the lack there of!) I would like to make myself some placemats to provide nice small projects to practice FMQing. Most of the quilts I quilt lately are lap sized for the do. Good Stitches group and they can be difficult to quilt on my oh-so-small machine. I can't wait to see what you tackle next - you always have a good project in the que :o)

Labels

Show more