I'm on Instagram!

Follow me: knitncrochet
My photo stream http://instagram.com/knitncrochet

Weaving my First Project on the Louet David

My first project on my new to me Louet David was a set of 3 towels in M&W twill. I liked warping the David following Jane Stafford's instructions (the DVD that normally comes with the loom if you buy it new). The raddle on top of the castle was very nice to work with and easy to sley. I liked being able to stand behind the loom for that process. Winding on went pretty well and tying on did, too. I like Jane's method of tying on and tightening the warp by advancing it, then finalizing the knots. Threading the heddles went very well and was so easy because I could remove the breast beam and sit inside the loom.  The reed was fast and easy to sley, also.  Overall, my tension on this project was much better and more even than it had been on the table loom.



Threading heddles on David

The Finnish Twill pattern from Webs caught my eye so I wound the warp at Christmas while visiting my mom. I got a new warping board from Fiber Artist Supply on Etsy. It is a wonderful piece of equipment!

When I planned the warp, I tried to widen the towel a bit, which worked but I messed up the position of the outer stripes so they weren't centered exactly in the design. I don't think that is noticeable when the towel is folded and hanging (and according to my sweet friends, not noticeable in any case). Upon seeing that this pattern was based on Davison's drafts in a Handweaver's Pattern Book, I decided to play with treadling a few of the designs there as well, a different one for each towel.

Towel 1
Towel 2
Towel 3



I used 8/2 cotton for this project and mixed manufacturers. I really like the combination of the rougher UKI cotton and the softer Valley Yarns cotton. The towels are very absorbent.  This was my first time using sewing thread as a weft yarn to hem my towels. I read about it in some forums on Facebook and Ravelry and decided to try it. I really liked how they turned out!

More info on my Ravelry Project Page.

Comments

Labels

Show more