I'm on Instagram!

Follow me: knitncrochet
My photo stream http://instagram.com/knitncrochet

Wee Winter Woolens Knit Along

I love tiny knitted things and I love Kathy Lewinski's designs. When I saw that she would be starting a "Wee Winter Woolens" KAL mid-June, I was super excited to join in. I have been slowly knitting her Mitten Advent Calendar since just before Christmas (2016). You can find her patterns on Ravelry and on her blog, Just Crafty Enough.

Kathy suggests using 5 colors for the projects. I have some Harrisville Shetland that I have used in the past for small colorwork projects and I have not been crazy about it. I looked at some colorwork projects on Ravelry and thought that Knit Picks Palette looked worth trying. To choose my colors, I searched some Christmas photos for inspiration and then tried to find yarn to match.

I came up with the following two options and six colors rather than five:



I ultimately settled on the first option (Aurora Heather, Cream, Garnet heather, Pistachio, Raspberry heather, and Serrano), although I admit that I am still drawn to the second one! Maybe that will be another project.

I really enjoyed using Palette for the colorwork. It is soft, but not too soft, has nice stitch definition and a bit of a fuzzy halo. The first pattern, released Monday, June 18, was fast and fun to work up! I am making two sets: one for me and one for my mom for Christmas. For the pom pom, I used the Clover 3/4" pom pom maker. It is a bit large, perhaps, for this hat, but I was happy with the size. I followed Betz White's recommendation and hit the pom pom with a shot of steam. It really made it fluffy!

Patterns for the KAL will be released every two weeks until some time in November, I believe.


Comments

Labels

Show more