One of the challenges in this book is to swap fabrics with a friend. My friend Joan and I traded a bag of scraps and had fun making blocks partially or entirely out of the other's fabrics. I knew I wanted a darker border with low volume/light blocks in the center. While paging through my book, I was inspired by some awesome improv roses and leaves on a quilt, "Sunday Best," on page 63 by Mary Ramsey Keasler. (Sorry, no photo of the quilt is available on the Internet but check out Mary's blog--she does some lovely work.) So then I made roses to applique on the top, which I have to tell you, take longer than 15 minutes to make. :) After adding some roses, I tried leaves (much faster than roses). It seemed like the quilt needed a focal point in the center. I started paging through my Piece O'Cake applique books because they have fun, whimsical floral patterns that I thought could fit and I wanted to hand applique the pattern. I mentioned this to Joan and she thought it might be out of place with all the improv I had going on in the quilt so I changed my plan. I decided to "make my fabric" and then cut it out into flower shapes using a template from a Piece O' Cake pattern, then raw edge applique it like the roses and leaves.
Here is the evolution of my project:
Here is where I left it today with an additional row of blocks to create more space between the blue tulips and the roses:
I am really happy with it at this point. I am ready to sew the blocks together and start appliqueing the flowers. I am going to try just pinning them down and straight stitching near the edges rather than fusing them. The bias stems are fusible, though. No idea how I will quilt it.
I have loved making these blocks and I can't recommend the book and this process enough.